Harry Potter and the 56 anniversary editions: endless tie-ins are diluting the magic

With so many versions of seven titles and several Fantastic Beasts film tie-ins, the books that changed my life are now being spun into dead weight

Harry Potter was the first book I ever read. I was eight and amazed by the fact I had read more than 200 pages without any illustration in a single day. I have been a superfan ever since. At the age of 13, I became a volunteer at Brazilian fan site Potterish. Now I am editor-in-chief and last year I was invited to visit the set of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald – a dream I never imagined could be possible.

But even I can no longer bear the over-publishing of Harry Potter books. There has been a constant stream of new editions and tie-ins that add nothing more than weight to my bookshelf, and money to the publishers’ pockets. And it’s a lot of money – Potter books sent Bloomsbury’s revenue to £161.5m last year, the highest level in its 32-year-history.

Continue reading...

from Books | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2raea5B

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mine management and predictive maintenance are top priorities for miners

Down with the kids: can mining ever be cool?

GR Engineering wins OZ Minerals Northern Wellfield project contract