There’s no shame in reading whatever books you want – literary snobs be damned | Emily Maguire

After discovering most novels of ‘literary value’ are written by dead white men, Emily Maguire asks, who gets to decide? And what’s the criteria?

I dropped out of high school early, so when I eventually got to university I was a “mature-age student”. What a ridiculous label. I was 24, and I didn’t feel mature – I felt ancient.

After almost a decade working minimum wage jobs with shitty pay and shittier treatment, I felt exhausted beyond words. And as someone who hadn’t picked up a textbook or written an essay for that same amount of time, I felt generations older than my classmates. Out of touch doesn’t begin to cover it.

Continue reading...

from Books | The Guardian http://bit.ly/2DYpYiM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mine management and predictive maintenance are top priorities for miners

Down with the kids: can mining ever be cool?

GR Engineering wins OZ Minerals Northern Wellfield project contract